” This was by far the coolest trip I’ve ever been on and it is all thanks to the amazing team at Nomad! From the beginning, they were nothing but helpful in answering our questions and providing us with extra tools to make sure we could plan our customized trip. Luis even drove the car from San Jose to meet us at the Libera airport. I would absolutely go through this company again, nothing but positive things to say.
Driving the car and setting up the tent was much easier than expected, it was a breeze to set/close camp when we were ready to move on to the next place. I loved having the car because it meant we could go at our own pace and no tour guides needed.
Places we camped:
– El Castillo: Free camping with amazing views of Arenal. No facilities onsite but there the Soda Cafe Lago is directly across from the campsite. Follow signs for Pizza Johns when driving in.
– Restaurante Turin: Very quite, restaurant, showers/bathrooms onsite, beautiful views with river. Lots of space if you are travelling with a group.
– Brasilito Lodge: Right on the beach, amazing views. In the morning we left the hostel and drove onto the beach to enjoy our morning, go for a swim and hang out on the beach for the day.
Places we went:
– Rio Celeste National Park Hike: Very easy hike, the water is an incredible color of blue. Definitely need to go for a quick swim
– Cerro Chato Hike / Lake: Amazing, this was a really hard hike but totally worth it. Will take a few hours, bring extra water and snacks. Would recommend going in the morning before the trail gets crowded.
– La Fortuna Waterfall: A bit touristy but very pretty, won’t spend more than an hour there
– Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve: This was one of our last hikes and after doing Cerro Chato, this was a breeze. It felt a bit commercialized but a good experience nonetheless, your entrance ticket is a good way to support the forest. “
– Katie Morris