Camping Costa Rica – Camping Tips in Costa Rica
For true nature lovers and outdoor enthusiasts, camping in Costa Rica is a definite must-do. The opportunity for awe-inspiring views and wild diversity is available to anyone who visits, and the best way to get an up close and personal experience is by camping in Costa Rica. Camp directly in the rainforest, on desolate beaches or in view of active volcanoes!
There are over 800 miles of coastline, rugged mountains and volcanoes, freshwater lakes and, of course, lush rain forests and enchanting cloud forests. Temperatures are definitely a plus with the tropical climate, with year round warm temperatures, however some preparations should be made in order to keep yourself and your gear dry and functional, especially during the wet season, which is between May and November. Camping in Costa Rica is great in both dry and rainy season – you just have to come prepared!
Remember to check out our campsite map if you are interested in camping in Costa Rica to find the best campsites in Costa Rica: COSTA RICA CAMPSITE MAP
Depending on which area of Costa Rica you decide to camp in you will have high humidity, both on the coastline as well as in or around the rain forests. The North-Western area of Guanacaste will mostly have a drier environment with consistent winds. You will also want to be sure to keep the inside of your tent as dry as possible to avoid storing it in wet conditions. If you are in any area during the raining season it would be a good idea to have rain gear or at least a poncho with you in your pack at all times. If you’re camping during the raining seasons, it might even be a good idea to consider taking a sleeping pad camping mat to keep you off the ground when you’re trying to sleep. This should keep you dry, whilst also giving you more comfort as you try and sleep in your tent. Sleep is essential on these camping trips, so try to be as comfortable as possible to ensure you’re ready for the adventures the next day.
Dry season start around mid November and will end in late May, giving a nice window for guaranteed dry camping. The benefits of camping in Costa Rica during the rainy season, with all the correct gear, is a true Rain Forest experience, completely green forests and very active wild-life. Before you decide to camp in Costa Rica, make sure you familiarise yourself with the sounds of the wildlife so that you know if there are any animals heading your way. You will need to know the sound of coyote as well as the sound of other large mammals.
Once you’ve prepared for the weather, as with any other camping excursion, there are several luxury items you may want to carry along with you as well.
- Don’t forget your camera, the scenery from the shores to the mountain tops is simply incredible.
- Insect repellent will also be a great luxury in this moist, tropical climate.
- Binoculars are absolutely worth having with you in order to catch a glimpse of Costa Rica’s 800+ species of birds while Camping in Costa Rica.
- Good field guides are also recommended to help you identify the unique plants and wildlife that you will come across.
- Camping in Costa Rica can be a truly spectacular experience. As with any outdoors adventure, the more prepared you are, the more amazing your trip will be. So pack light, but pack smart and you will have an adventure of your lifetime!
- Ask Arround! Most National Parks will let you camp on their grounds, and several have great facilities for visitors. There are also many campsites all over the country which are known by the locals, when you get to an area ask around and you will be sure to find a nice place to set up camp!